Marriage License Application Requirements

Both applicants must have all required documents with them before the County Clerk's Office will start the application process for a marriage license. Marriage License applications must be done in-person and by appointment only. No applications will be started after 3:30 p.m. unless prior arrangements have been made with the County Clerk. 

Where to Apply

  • Wisconsin residents and nonresidents can apply for, obtain and use a marriage license for their ceremony in any county of the state. 
  • Both applicants must apply in person.
  • Where to apply in Burnett County:
    • County Clerk's Office
    • 7410 County Road K, Siren, Wisconsin
    • Burnett County Government Center - First Floor, Room 150
    • Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
  • Printer Friendly (PDF)

Fee, Waiting Period, License Expiration

  • The cost is $75.00 payable by check, cash or credit/debit card.
  • The license is issued after a three-day waiting period. Counting starts on the day after application and ends on day three.
  • Under special circumstances, the waiting period may be waived on approval of the County Clerk; the waiver fee is $10.00.
  • The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. Counting starts on the day after issuance and ends on day 60.

Have the Following Documents With You

Proof of Residence for the Last 30 Days

  • Bring a valid driver's license or government issued identification card showing applicant's residence address.
  • If residence address is incorrect, also bring a utility bill, credit card statement, etc. showing correct address.

Certified Copy of Birth Certificate

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate is required. Neither a notification of birth registration, a certification of birth registration, nor a certificate issued by a hospital is acceptable.
  • How to Obtain a Certified Copy

If Previously Married - Bring Proof of How Last Marriage Ended

  • For a death: Certified copy of the death certificate
  • For a divorce or an annulment: Court stamped copy of the signed divorce/annulment decree which specifies the actual date OR a certified copy of your divorce/annulment certificate purchased from the State Vital Records Office (If you have been married more than once previously, you must provide the document from the most recent marriage).
  • Applicants may not marry until six months after the final divorce decree date of previous marriage.
  • How to Obtain a Certified Copy

Foreign Documents

  • If any required document is in a foreign language, you must provide a certified translation of the document or bring a translator to translate in person.

Other Information Needed

Social Security Number (card is not required)
 Wedding Information

  • Date of wedding
  • Location
    • County
    • City, Village or Township
  • Witnesses
    • Names of two adult witnesses you plan to have sign the marriage license. Only one adult witness is required if one of the parties to the marriage is in the active military service of the United States.

Officiant Information

  • Name
  • Mailing Address
  • Telephone Number
  • Email Address

Age Requirement

  • 18 years or older.
  • Applicants 16 or 17 years old - a signed consent form is required. The consent form must be signed by the parent(s), legal guardian, custodian (appointed by a court), or person having actual care, custody and control of the applicant. The consent form is an official oath; it states the person signing swears he/she does in fact have the legal authority to give consent and that the consent is given. It must be signed in the presence of the county clerk or in the presence of a notary public and it must be presented to the county clerk at the time of license application.


  • If applicant is 16 or 17 years old the age requirement terms will apply.
  • If applicant is 18 years or older, the terms of each specific guardianship will apply.

Completed marriage license after ceremony

  • Completed marriage licenses can be returned to the Register of Deeds in any county in the state (this still needs to occur within three days after the date of marriage).

Officiants for Civil Marriage Ceremonies

The following officiants may perform civil marriage ceremonies. Contact the officiants directly for an appointment to perform the ceremony.

Todd Anderson (Court Commissioner)
116 East Madison Avenue
P.O. Box 507
Grantsburg, WI 54840
Phone: 715-463-5365

Ryan Benson (Court Commissioner)
24161 State Road 35/70
P.O. Box 370
Siren, WI 54872
Phone: 715-349-5215

Brian Sears
7269 Main Street East
Webster, WI 54893
Phone: 715-566-2754

David Grindell (Corporation Counsel)
7410 County Road K #121
Siren, WI 54872
Phone: 715-349-2168

Lucy Basler - Sacred Ceremonies
27890 Thompson Road
Webster, WI 54893
Phone: 715-566-2462

Steve Hardy
28684 Kilkare Road
Danbury, WI 54830
Phone: 651-786-9121